In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, universities and colleges have been forced to take measures that have, amongst other things, affected the working conditions of academic and general staff, teachers and students. Below are some measures that have been initiated.
French-speaking universities in pandemic times
(February 26, 2021)
From apprehended crisis to critical emergency, the Francophone University is facing the pandemic.
— Forum (Feb 26)
— Transcripts (Feb 26)
— Article (Feb 2021)
Re-opening Campuses: Fall/Winter semester
(September 1, 2020)
CAUT is tracking institutional plans for delivery of courses during the pandemic.
Impact of the Pandemic on Post-Secondary Teachers & Staff
CAUT surveyed its members, using crowdsourcing data collection, between May 13 and June 12, 2020. (Aug 2020) // Read
COVID-19 and the Impact on Students
A new survey shows a significant number of students are reconsidering their plans for university and college in the fall. (May 2020) // Read
Actions to advance equity during Covid-19
- The COVID-19 pandemic has amplified inequities in the academic workplace. To help address equity issues on campus exacerbated by COVID-19, CAUT offers the following suggestions to member associations. (Aug 2020)
Coronavirus hits Campus - Special Bulletin
- Staff and students had to quickly adapt to emergency remote teaching, leaving many frustrated and anxious. (May-June 2020)
- CAUT webinars highlight impact of COVID-19 on academic work.
Remote Teaching during a Pandemic
- As universities and colleges develop plans for the 2020-21 academic year, many are preparing for the continuation of remote instruction either fully or in part. (May 2020)
Guidelines for re-opening of Campuses
- As the federal and provincial governments consider easing the emergency restrictions put in place to limit the spread of COVID-19, colleges and universities across the country are developing plans for their operations in the fall. (May 2020)
CAUT advocates for the inclusion of academic staff and students in emergency supports as well as for strong investments in research and post-secondary education as key to recovery.
- Statement on the Fall Economic Update, December 2020
- Members from across the country participated in virtual lobby days, meeting with over 70 Members of Parliament from all parties.
- Op-ed by CAUT President Brenda Austin-Smith on the need for government investments in post-secondary education for a strong pandemic recovery, November 2020
- Statement on missed opportunity in the federal Throne Speech to fix post-secondary education and support research, September 2020
- Letter to the Prime Minister regarding the critical role of post-secondary education and research for Canada’s post-pandemic recovery and future, September 2020
- Submission to the pre-budget consultations in advance of the federal 2021 budget, August 2020
- Submissions to the Senate Committee on Social Affairs, Science and Technology, and the Senate Committee on National Finance highlighting the importance of a vital post-secondary education sector as an essential foundation for innovation, science and economic success in Canada, June 2020
- CAUT statement calling on the federal government to extend emergency wage subsidy support to universities and colleges June 2020
- “For Our Future” campaign, April 2020
- Letter to the Prime Minister regarding call for support to offset impacts of COVID-19, April 2020
Frequently Asked Questions
- CAUT has provided guidance on how associations should respond to the most common issues and questions. (Dec 2020)
COVID-19 Income Support Measures
- Where the employer is not providing adequate income protection, federal income support measures may provide some relief. (Dec 2020)
In the Members' Area