Nomination Form & Deadline
Nominations for the award can be made using this form. The deadline for submissions for nominations will be February 1st of each year.
The CAUT Equity Award was established in 2010 to recognize post-secondary academic staff and groups who have demonstrated an outstanding commitment to challenging exclusionary behaviours and practices such as racism and homophobia and by so doing have made post-secondary education in Canada more inclusive.
- The candidate must be an academic staff member or group at a Canadian post-secondary institution;
- The candidate’s contribution must have had regional or national implications although it may have been focused locally (in a single university or college), provincially, regionally, nationally or a combination of these; and
- The candidate’s contribution may derive from the result of a single project or activity, or the accumulation of efforts through consistent involvement over a long period of time.
CAUT will solicit nominations in the fall of each year. The deadline for submissions for nominations will be February 1st of each year. Nominations will be reviewed by CAUT’s Equity Committee and recommendations will be forwarded to CAUT Council. The number and frequency of the award will be as CAUT Council deems appropriate.
Recommendations should include the following:
- a letter identifying the specific contributions and achievements of the candidate which demonstrate their commitment to challenging exclusionary behaviours, practices and structures and ways that their commitment has made post-secondary education in Canada more inclusive;
- relevant supporting documents such as:
- a full curriculum vitae where appropriate; and
- letters of support.
CAUT may gather additional information as it feels necessary to assist in its decision making.
Faculty associations, equity committees, caucuses or any other interested parties are invited to submit recommendations for the award.
Recommendations should be addressed to: Co-Chairs, Equity Committee, Canadian Association of University Teachers, 2705 Queensview Drive, Ottawa, Ontario, K2B 8K2.
2019 — Renae Watchman (Mount Royal)
2018 — Annette Henry (British Columbia)
2017 — Aaron Devor (Victoria)
2017 — Elizabeth Quinlan (Saskatchewan)
2015 — Malinda S. Smith (Alberta)
2013 — Richard Atleo (Vancouver Island University & Manitoba)
2011 — Anver Saloojee (Ryerson)