The Academic Freedom and Tenure Committee is a Standing Committee of CAUT Council with responsibility for:
- Dealing, on behalf of the Association, with appeals made to it by individual faculty members who consider that their professional rights have been infringed.
- Making recommendations to Council on policy matters relating to academic freedom and tenure, grievances and discrimination, as well as policy matters arising from the Committee's consideration of academic rights issues.
Members of the committee
- Alison Hearn (University of Western Ontario Faculty Association), Chair
- Michael Arfken (University of Prince Edward Island Faculty Association)
- Dennis Fitzpatrick (University of Regina Faculty Association)
- Kevin Kane (University of Alberta Faculty Association)
- Mark Mac Lean (University of British Columbia Faculty Association)
- Loralea Michaelis (Mount Allison Faculty Association)
- Henry Reichman (American Association of University Professors) (observer)
- Susan Srigley (Nippissing University Faculty Association)
- Alain Viau (Syndicat des professeurs et professeures de l’Université Laval)
- Michelle Webber (Brock University Faculty Association)
- Justine De Jaegher (Professional Officer, CAUT)
The President is an ex-officio voting member of the Committee. The Vice-President and the Executive Director are additional non-voting members of the Committee.