The Canadian Association of University Teachers tabled a Submission to the Standing Committee on the Status of Women for its Study on the Economic Security of Women in Canada.
In its brief, CAUT propose five specific federal actions that, if taken, will improve women’s economic security and leadership, not only in academia, but across all of Canadian society.
We call on the federal government to:
1. Work with the provinces and territories to expand and increase protections for workers in precarious employment;
2. Enhance the social safety net for precarious workers, by improving the Employment Insurance Program and getting a national child care framework signed and funded;
3. Introduce immediately proactive pay equity legislation;
4. Improve the federal employment equity program, including the Federal Contractors Program; and,
5. Restore federal funding levels for basic research to 2007 levels and ensure its equitable distribution.